The Vedanta Society of Sacramento is spiritually affiliated with the Ramakrishna Order of India. The Order was founded by Swami Vivekananda in late 19th century with the ideal of “atmanamokshartham jagad hitaya ca” or “for one’s own liberation and for the good of the world.”
The main goals and objectives of the Ramakrishna Order, based on the principles of practical Vedanta, are:
- To spread the idea of the potential divinity of every being and how to manifest it through every action and thought.
- To spread the idea of harmony of religions based on Sri Ramakrishna’s experience that all religions lead to the realization of the same Reality known by various names in different religions. The Order honors and reveres the founders of all world religions such as Buddha, Christ and Mohammed.
- To consider all work as worship, and service to humanity as service to God.
- To make all possible attempts to alleviate human suffering by disseminating education, rendering medical aid, and providing other humanitarian services.
- To work for the all-round welfare of humanity, especially for the alleviation of poverty and upliftment of the oppressed.
- To develop an integrated personality by the combined practice of jnana (knowledge), bhakti (love), raja yoga (spiritual practice) and karma (work).
The Order’s headquarters is located at Belur Math in Kolkata, India.